Information Design - Project 2: Kinetic Typography


Apr'26
Brendan Fedya / 0376283
Information Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Information Design / Project 2 / Kinetic Typography


TABLE OF CONTENTS

 ILectures

II. Tasks

III. Feedbacks

IV. Reflections


I. LECTURES

No lectures are given.


II. TASKS

➼    Groupings

The task requires us to create an animated lyric video with our assigned groups. The song we chose is the theme song of the 2018 animated film "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse", Sunflower. We felt that this song is catchy enough for us to create motions out of it.

We then allocated our tasks in our group chat, separating parts by amount of unique lyrics taken by each member. Our group finally chose yellow, white and black as our color scheme. Black and white give people a positive and upward feeling, and they create a visual impact. Then we chose Gotham Regular as our font for use. And we have determined the size of the video and so on. This will help us maintain a consistent style and font color in the final video.
Figure 2.1: Determine project composition

➼    Task Execution

For my part, I tried to make every word represent what it actually meant through its movements. I don't want to include too much graphics as it makes the animation feels 'cheap' in a way.

I coordinate a lot with one of my teammate—Jay, because he is doing the lyrics before my part. I need his part to be done first so mine could be consistent with his later on. 

My part covers this part of the lyrics: 
Some things you just can't refuse
She wanna ride me like a cruise
And I'm not tryna lose

Then you're left in the dust

The idea of 'refuse' is the word will be refusing the previous lyrics, bouncing it back.
As for 'ride me like a cruise', graphics are made to show the lyrics riding through the waves out of the screen. This is continued by 'I'm not tryna lose' where the lyrics fight back, symbolizing they don't want to lose.
Next verse is followed up by a beat, and to make it catchy, I made the background transition into yellow with black texts. The word 'dust' then pushes the other lyrics into dust, where eventually the 'dust' also turns into dust.
Figure 2.2: Putting words into composition

Now adding graphics to some parts so it won't feel too bland. I used pen tool and references online to create the vector on illustrator, just like how I created vectors for my other tasks.
Figure 2.3: Putting graphics

I used some effects such as dissolve master control to mimic the effect of the word 'dust'. 
Figure 2.4: Applying effects

After finished with everything, this wraps up my part:
Figure 2.5: Final animation for Brendan's part

➼    Final Animation

After we compiled all our parts, this is how it turns out:
Figure 2.6: Final group animated kinetic typography


III. FEEDBACKS

  • The cruise riding lyrics should be more expressive.
  • (Group feedback) Vectors used should be more cohesive. Stick to either one: lineart, sillhouete, or colored graphic.

IV. REFLECTIONS

This is our first group project of the module, and it certainly has its own challenges. To be honest, I feel that this project is more suitable to do solo, as it seems like no matter however we plan, the output we shown will still be different. One way that I did to tackle this problem is to wait for my friend to finish their part, then I mimic theirs through their files (the distance per keyframes, everything). Glad that it still worked out at the end despite major language barrier problems we have experienced.

back to table of contents.


Comments

Popular Posts